In 1912 Ernest installed a light plant allowing him to generate his own light and power. As his family grew he built a 3 story, 10 bedroom home that was used as a living quarters as well as a bed and breakfast for guests. In an effort to expand park attractions, Ernest purchased more land on the south shore of North Silver Lake. This was then called "North Park." Ernest traveled to Chicago to look at major league baseball fields, once he returned he built a major league sized baseball diamond field on North Park.